framework for hotkey binding

Coordinator
Feb 6, 2009 at 1:00 AM
I think we'll want a common framework for hotkey binding, and a set of functions that everything else can use. So basically no function would choose what hotkey it is, but there would be some sort of saved configs, a UI for user to be able to choose which hotkeys are bound to what, and of course some defaults, or groups of defaults/profiles etc.

Thoughts?
Developer
Feb 6, 2009 at 5:36 AM
That's a very good idea.

Yesterday i found a bug in CTP3 and in the german Windows 7 Beta download when running in german locale [https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=411556&SiteID=99]. The hotkeys where only partialy translated from Ctrl- to Strg-. One of my profile scripts failed in english local , because I used Ctrl-O and there was no error message, that Strg-O was allready in use. The funny thing is that this bug does not show when using the english download of Windows 7 beta.

My opinion is, that hotkey internalization should be independent from the menue-lables.

As far as I see we PowerShell developers must provide the correct localized hotkey-names (why can't this be handled by the OS, it is a general task?).

So this is a great opportunity to centralize this problem to a single point of possible failure.
This helps in writing ISE-Extensions for internationalized locales.